The first history of this place is related ,at the close of the Pappineau Rebellion in 1837 when a group of English officers summered with Jonathan Bellows, on the lower lake and this was possibly the beginning of the summer resort phase of this region. Mr. Bellows at that time had a hotel called the Lake House that had grown to substantial proportions. Among those who came for recreation purposes were A. F. Tait and Chester Harding, the artists. Here Mr. Tait had a studio and painted such famous pictures as Arguing the Point, in which there is an excellent portrait of Jonathan Bellows. Many of these pictures were lithographed by Currier and Ives and now command large sums for their purchase. Among other famous guests were Dr. Bethune, a cousin of James Russell Lowell and Mr. Ashman, chairman of the convention that nominated Abraham Lincoln.
In 1892, the Lake House was purchased by J. S. Kirby, who changed the name to Banner House. Following his death, the place was operated by F. [Fred] W. Adams and is now under the management of Mr. and Mrs. A.[Adams] M. Chase.
The sign on the building reads, “Traveller’s Home”, with an arrow pointing towards the Banner House.
This photo has been at the Banner House longer than anyone who is now alive. However, the building doesn’t appear match of those at the Banner House. It may be a photo of one of the Kirby family residences, west of Brainardsville on Kirby Hill. The people are definitely not John Smith Kirby, nor are they of his parents. Another Chateaugay Lake mystery.