Yesterday and Today Meet in Hyland’s Store

Gerald Hyland has gone a long way to spread an epidemic of Centennial Fever on Chateaugay's Main Street, with a truly amazing window display. His store itself is a piece of Chateaugay history. In business for over 75 years, the original enterprise opened its doors in 1893. Hyland's have been partners or owners of the … Continue reading Yesterday and Today Meet in Hyland’s Store

Advertisements

Rutland Depot, Chateaugay, 1914

Photo dated: Saturday, April 4, 1914. The men are William Doige, Earl (Son) Denio, Bert Corkins, and Frank Rivero. Drive by today, not much remains the same. Chateaugay Record

Marble River Hill, Before and After

Before and After. The Marble River Hill in the late 1880s (top picture), with its winding narrow road, wooden bridge, old starch factory, spring house, hore and carriage. The small child in the carriage is believed to be the late Gordon Green, who lived in the house with his parents at the top of the … Continue reading Marble River Hill, Before and After

Union Free School, Chateaugay — 1889

This school and many memories are long gone. Only a few remember when this building on Church St. housed students. Chateaugay Record, April 28, 1982

Jack Clifford Camp, Upper Chateaugay Lake

The notorious camp of Prohibition time. The Jack Clifford and Evelyn Nesbit Thaw hideaway at Upper Chateaugay. Her life story was presented in the movie, "Girl in the Red Velvet Swing." Four out of the five chimneys are the only reminder of the once large, elaborate building. Chateaugay Record, March 14, 1984

Brainardsville Baseball Players

This photo is not dated and some familiar faces are now missing from the crowd. During the baseball season, these players, along with a large audience from the community, would gather and root for their favorites. Front row: John Clark, John Gardner, Malcolm Hoy, Giles Legacy, Little Harold and his father, Harley Cromp, Roderick Titus. … Continue reading Brainardsville Baseball Players

Main Street, Chateaugay

This is Main Street in Chateaugay, date unknown. At left is the Chateaugay Hotel and at right is the Bank of Chateaugay. Most of the other buildings have been demolished or destroyed by fire. Chateaugay Record, June 25, 1986

Roberts House, Chateaugay

Back in the days of bustle skirts and oil lamps, the old Roberts House (now Hotel Chateaugay) appears to be the center of activity. This photo, apparently taken near the turn of the century, was a tintype and the photographer transposed the negative, reversing the print. [The image has been rectified.] Chateaugay Record, May 29, 1986

Johnston Bros. Lumber Company and Store, Chateaugay, late 1800s

Late 1800s, Johnston Bros. Lumber Company and store on East Main Street, Chateaugay. Although it has changed ownership several times, the original architecture remians the same. Fred and Grace Russ, the present owners, operated the "Russtique Antiques", which has now been closed. The blacksmith shop was operated by C. Sancomb. From the Johnston-McGibbon files. Chateaugay … Continue reading Johnston Bros. Lumber Company and Store, Chateaugay, late 1800s

The Chateaugay Record Printing Shop

Charles Harrica leaning on the flat bed press handle; the man at the type case not identified. Many changes and equipment have taken place -- only the long hours and hard work remain. This photo was found among the momentos of the late Bill Ferrell. Chateaugay Record, April 11, 1984